Thursday, May 14, 2009

Spring Cookin'





McKay and I love cooking on the grill. The taste is AMAZING and it a great way to cook if you're wanting to look fabulous in that swimsuit this summer. The Spring and Fall are our favorite times to grill because it's not to hot. McKay choose to go with the charcoal grill. I'm glad that he did because the flavors are great but it is more work. (thanks sweetheart) If you're wanting to do a lot of Kebabs I would recommend getting a metal set they sell just about anywhere. Look for great deals cause Father's Day will be coming up soon. That's when I got McKay's and we love them.

I decided that we would just "wing it" for mothers day and just cook what we had in the house. After church we decided a bbq would be fun. So my brain started going and I had some red onion, shrimp, green & red pepper....that would make a pretty kebab. We also had some hamburger and hot dogs that we cooked up as well. Hamburgers and hot dogs are good to just cook up for leftovers. I wouldn't recommended it for steaks though. They just don't taste "as good".

So the recipe that I got the Kebab spice out of is called the barbecue bible. (i read it faithfully every day:)

1 Tablespoon Kosher or Sea Salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried rosemary (break it into smaller pieces with hands)
1 teaspoon dried thyme

Kebabs are so easy that you can really do anything that you want to have on your Kabobs onto the skewers (I just used what I had in the house) When ready to cook, brush the kebabs on both sides with olive oil and sprinkle on the spice mixture. (McKay already had some Cajun spices that he had put together so he used that on the second batch LOVED IT!)
Grill for 3-6 mins on each side. During those 3-6 mins brush the Kabobs once or twice with additional oil and season liberally with the spice mixture.

So have fun with Kebabs and cooking on the grill. Think of things that you like and go with it. I go to Outback and I get the Chicken/Shrimp grillers. I learned though LA weight loss that this was a low calorie meal that I could have.....Well guess what is in it. Chicken/Shrimp, veggies, pineapple, all grilled over a bed of wild rice!!! It's AWESOME! And it tasted just like it! So get out there this weekend and do some grillin'!!

No comments:

Post a Comment